Bethlehem Personal Injury Lawyer
Millions of people are injured every year due to their own negligence or the negligence of others. These accidents can cause long-term and even debilitating injuries. The main difference is that when someone else’s negligence causes your injuries, you have the legal right to file a personal injury lawsuit.
A personal injury lawsuit allows you to recover compensation for damages such as medical bills, surgeries, medications, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Having a lawyer on your side can make the process a lot easier.
The team at O’Donnell Law Offices has extensive experience representing clients who have suffered serious injuries due to the negligence of others. We’ll help you get the compensation you deserve for your damages. Contact our experienced Bethlehem personal injury lawyer today to schedule a consultation.
Types of Personal Injury
An injury can happen in a variety of ways. Some common types include:
- Car Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Social Security Disability
- Truck Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Bus accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Slips and falls
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Assaults and other crimes
Elements of Personal Injury Claims
There are four elements involved in personal injury claims:
- The defendant must have had a duty to the claimant. For drivers, the duty is as simple as driving safely. For doctors, the duty refers to providing a certain standard of care.
- Breach of duty. If the defendant failed to obey the duty they had to the plaintiff, this is called a breach.
- The breach of duty must have led to damages, such as financial losses, injuries, and mental distress.
- There should be a link between the breach and damages. A claimant needs to prove that the defendant’s actions were responsible for their injuries.
Damages Available in Personal Injury Claims
There are three main types of damages available in a personal injury claim:
- Economic damages refer to specific costs that can be easily calculated. These include medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic. These damages refer to things that cannot be easily calculated. They tend to be more emotional or psychological in nature and include pain and suffering, mental anguish, scarring, disfigurement, loss of companionship, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages may be available in cases where the negligence was especially egregious. Examples would be drinking and driving or a doctor puncturing an organ during surgery. Punitive damages are meant to punish the defendant in hopes that they would be discouraged from behaving in a similar manner in the future.
Contact O’Donnell Law Offices Today
A person can get injured by someone else’s negligence at any time. While car accidents are the most common type of personal injury, there are many other ways in which an injury can occur.
Make sure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. The experienced team at O’Donnell Law Offices can help. Schedule a free consultation with a Bethlehem personal injury lawyer today by calling 570-821-5717 or filling out the online form.