Hazleton Boat Accident Lawyer
Boating accidents can be devastating and often involve loss of life. If you were injured in a boating accident, or a loved one was killed due to someone else’s negligence, you need to contact n experienced Hazleton boat accident lawyer right away. You may have the right to pursue legal action and recover compensation for your injuries or the wrongful death of a family member.
As a victim who was injured, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation for your medical expenses and loss of earnings as well as pain and suffering. If you need future treatment and cannot return to work, you may be compensated for these as well. However, in order to maximize your claim value, you need a skilled lawyer who has experience with boating accidents. Otherwise, you may inadvertently demand a lower amount than your claim is actually worth.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
There are numerous ways a boating accident can occur. Some of the more common causes include:
- Reckless or careless operation: If the boat captain is reckless or careless in their operation of the boat, it can cause an accident or collision. If people are not sitting where they should be, someone may fall overboard if you hit a wave. If they are violating low wake rules or not yielding to another boat, it could cause a collision.
- Inexperience: Some boat captains don’t have a lot of experience operating a boat solo. Not having the proper skills means the captain could panic when forced to make a split-second decision and could cause an accident. You should know as much as possible about the captain before you get on a boat.
- Alcohol Use: While everyone loves a fun day out on the water, the boat operator should be refraining from imbibing. Unfortunately, many people drink and then assume they are ok to operate a boat. This is when a lot of accidents can happen, resulting in significant injuries. Anyone caught operating a boat who has a BAC higher than 0.08 could be fined thousands of dollars, face jail time, and have their boating license suspended.
- Speeding: Speeding is another common cause of boating accidents. Boats, jet skis, and other personal watercraft need to operate at a safe speed at all times, otherwise, there is an increased risk of losing control and causing a serious accident.
- Bad Weather: Your captain should always check safety equipment before going out. There should be lifejackets on board and they should always listen to the weather forecast before going out. Absolutely do not go out if there are small craft advisories for example. High winds can also make boating rather treacherous.
Common Boating Accident Injuries
Boating accidents can lead to numerous types of injury, including broken bones, lacerations, cuts, bruises, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, concussion and traumatic brain injuries, neck and back herniations, and post-traumatic stress disorder to name a few.
Contact a Hazleton Boating Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one were injured in a Pennsylvania boating accident, contact O’Donnell Law Offices today to schedule an initial consultation.