- I-Team Victims File lawsuit Against Former Band Teacher, Pittston Area School District Over Sexual Assault
- Attorney Catherine O’Donnell By Super Lawyers as One of the Top 50 Female Attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Kingston, PA-May 26, 2021- O’Donnell Law Offices is pleased to announce that Attorney Catherine R. O’Donnell has been selected as one of the top 50 female attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the second consecutive year and as, once again, as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for 2021. This marks the 11th time Catherine has been selected for this recognition. Each year, only 5 percent of the Pennsylvania Bar receives this distinguished honor.Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The Super Lawyers selection process is multistage and includes peer nominations by attorneys and peer evaluations by practice area. Lawyers may not self-nominate or pay to be included on the Super Lawyers listing. For more information on Super Lawyers, visit www.superlawyers.com. “I am privileged to be recognized for such an honor by my peers practicing law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,” said Ms. O’Donnell. “Our firm works passionately to provide our clients the personal attention and service they need, and we fight hard to attain the best verdicts and settlements.” In addition to being named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for 2021, Catherine has been consistently recognized by attaining Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Preeminent Rating of Preeminent Women Lawyers. She was recognized as a Best Lawyers of American 2021. She is also the current President of the Wilkes Barre Law & Library (Luzerne County) Bar Association.
- Attorney Michael O’Donnell Named a 2021 Pennsylvania Rising Star Lawyer
Kingston, PA-May 26, 2021 – Super Lawyers has chosen Attorney Michael A. O’Donnell for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Rising Star Lawyer list for 2021. This is the 5th year Attorney O’Donnell has been recognized with this prestigious designation. Rising Star Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement and either 40 years old or younger or in practice 10 years or less. The annual selections are made using a multi-phased process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice areas. Only 5 percent of attorneys in Pennsylvania are selected for inclusion as “Rising Star Lawyers.” For more information on Super Lawyers, visit www.superlawyers.com. “I am excited to be recognized by my peers in the legal community as a leader in the area of workers compensation,” said Michael O’Donnell. “As a certified workers compensation specialist, the focus is always on the clients and fighting for their rights as injured workers.” A frequent contributor to legal education programs, Attorney O’Donnell has received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating 2016-2021.
- Attorney Neil O’Donnell Named a 2021 TOP 10 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for the FOURTH CONSECUTIVE Year
Kingston, PA-May 26, 2021 – Super Lawyers has chosen Attorney Neil T. O’Donnell, owner and founder at O’Donnell Law Offices, for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyer TOP 10 list for 2021 for the third consecutive year. He has also been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. This is the 4rd time Neil has been named TOP 10 and the 15th consecutive year Attorney O’Donnell has been recognized with these prestigious designations. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a multi-phased process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice areas. Only 5 percent of attorneys in Pennsylvania are selected for inclusion in “Super Lawyers.” For more information on Super Lawyers, visit www.superlawyers.com. “I am honored to be recognized by my peers in the competitive field of personal injury,” said Neil O’Donnell. “Our focus on delivering personal care, high-quality counsel and service to our clients is most important to all of us at O’Donnell Law Office, and I am humbled to be named a TOP 10 Super Lawyer.” A frequent contributor to legal education programs, Attorney O’Donnell has held leadership positions in both regional and state trial lawyer associations, including the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute. O’Donnell has been recognized as a TOP 10 Super Lawyer 2008, 2019, 2020 and 2021. Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer from 2007-2021. He has also been selected as The Best Lawyers in America 2021 and, from 2002-2021 he has received the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating. Neil O’Donnell was inducted into the Melvin Belli Society, named after America’s most famous trial lawyer, Melvin Belli.
- Kingston, Pennsylvania, March 10, 2021 — Cathy O’Donnell named one of Northeast PA Business Journal’s Top 25 Women in Business
- Kingston, Pennsylvania, December 11, 2020 — The team at O’Donnell Law Offices of Kingston, Pennsylvania, is helping families by contributing to the Domestic Violence Service Center located in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. Brought together by the Wyoming valley United Way, the Office discovered that there was a need for some travel back packs, bedding, accessories and personal hygiene items including toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, baby wipes, soap and shampoo. The items will also be used to give to adults and children when they arrive at the DVSC. On arrival, most of the adults and children do not have access to any of these necessities.“Everyone immediately wanted to pitch in,” said Catherine O’Donnell, an attorney with O’Donnell Law. Attorney Neil O’Donnell added that “every member of our office contributed without question. In these trying times, we must all work together to help those in need.”O’Donnell Law Offices has been recognized in the rankings of U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers 2020 with a “Best Law Firms” ranking. Attorneys Neil, Catherine and Michael O’Donnell have been selected as 2020 Best Lawyers, as well. All 3 attorneys have also been listed in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Both Neil and Catherine have been selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers’ list for several consecutive years, with Neil also named to the Top 10 Super Lawyers in Pennsylvania and Catherine Top 50 Female Attorneys in Pennsylvania. Michael O’Donnell has been listed as a 2020 Rising Star by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.
- Neil O’Donnell presented at the Northeast PA Trial Lawyers CLE Seminar on December 10, 2020 from 12:15 pm to 1:30 pm. The title of the seminar was Trial, Mediation and Arbitration in the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Neil O’Donnell just completed live testimony on 9/8 in Harrisburg before the PA State Senate Judiciary Committee on the State Venue Court Rule, and advocating a return to the Fair Venue State Rule.
- O’Donnell Law was named one of the 10 Best Personal Injury Law Firms in Pennsylvania for exceptional and outstanding client service by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
- Super Lawyers has chosen Neil T. O’Donnell, owner and founder at O’Donnell Law Offices, for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyer TOP 10 list for 2020 for the second consecutive year. He has also been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. This is the 3rd time Neil has been named TOP 10 and the 16th consecutive year Attorney O’Donnell has been recognized with these prestigious designations. Learn More >>
- Catherine R. O’Donnell has been selected as one of the top 50 female attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and as, once again, as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for 2020. This marks the 10th time Catherine has been selected for this recognition. Each year, only 5 percent of the Pennsylvania Bar receives this distinguished honor. Learn More >>
- Super Lawyers has chosen Michael A. O’Donnell for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Rising Star Lawyer list for 2020. This is the 4th year Attorney O’Donnell has been recognized with this prestigious designation. Learn More >>
- Catherine R. O’Donnell Has Been Nominated and Accepted as a 2020 American Institute of Personal Injury Attorney’s 10 Best in Pennsylvania For Client Satisfaction. Please click here to read more about this prestigious honor.
- Wills for Heroes: Free estate planning for First Responders and Veterans
WNEP 16 News
Author: Ryan Leckey
Published: 4:50 AM EST February 12, 2020 NANTICOKE, Pa. — A free program could come to the rescue for many first responders and their families who are residents of Luzerne County.It’s called Wills for Heroes.
What to bring with you on February 22
You will need the approximate value of and how any of the following are titled(alone or joint):
- Real property – All vehicles (automobiles, trucks, boats, etc.)
- Retirement accounts’ values (401(K), 403(b), 457 & IRA)
- Non-retirement accounts & CDs (savings, checking, brokerage, money market)
- Stocks & Bonds not held in any account
- Money others owe you
- Value of your business(es)
- Life insurance death benefits (including any employer life insurance)
- Other money or property
- Mortgage(s) on real property
- Credit card debt
- Any other debt
Reason behind the program
Organizers say Wills for Heroes was launched because those on the front lines saving lives are often most at risk of serious injuries or even death. Lawyers found that after 9/11 in 2001, many first responders who helped that day didn’t have these types of documents in place to help their families, hence the project.
Background info from the volunteer lawyers who are making the event happen
In partnership with the Pennsylvania Bar Association, we are proud to bring the Wills for Heroes program to you. Wills for Heroes is a free and easy service that provides Wills, Living Wills, Health Care and Financial Powers of Attorney to first responders and military veterans and their spouses/partners.
If you die without a Will, Pennsylvania’s intestate laws will determine who will receive your property. Undoubtedly, your loved ones’ grief will be overwhelming; a clear expression of your intent, desires, and wishes may help ease some of this inevitable burden. While nobody likes to think about an untimely death, it is best that you express your wishes through a written document. For your family’s peace of mind, please consider this invaluable opportunity, offered completely free to you and your spouse/partner.
Appointments for each person last approximately one hour. After it, you will have notarized legal documents – a Will, Living Will, and Health Care and Financial Powers of Attorney (or any combination thereof). If you select that you are coming with a spouse/significant other, you will have back to back appointments, and the computer will automatically schedule a second appointment. You do not need to schedule a separate appointment. Please schedule your appointment early as this event is sure to fill up fast.
For more information on the program, visit the “Wills for Heroes Foundation” website.
** If your estate exceeds approximately $750,000, this service is unavailable to you due to the complexity of your estate and the limited time to complete the legal documents.
For determining if your estate is over $750,000, include your cash, personal property, stock and bonds, real estate equity, savings, cash value of a whole/universal life insurance policy only (not the amount of the insurance policy). For questions on eligibility, call David Pedri at 570-592-3311.
- Congratulations Cathy!
O’Donnell Law Office’s Cathy O’Donnell will be sworn in as the President of the Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association (Luzerne County Bar Association). Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Debra Todd will be doing the honors. Congratulations to Cathy on this great achievement!
- Neil presented “Increasing Case Values Through Winning Depositions” at a Connectionology Seminar in Newport, RI on 9/8/19
- Neil O’Donnell Files Motion Against Grotto Pizza In early June of 2015, a drunk driver struck and killed a 31-year-old woman who was jogging along Lakeside Drive in Harveys Lake. The driver, a 54-year-old male who had been drinking at Grotto Pizza, fled the scene of the accident and was found hours later by police with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) 2 ½ times the legal limit.After the incident, the woman’s family filed a lawsuit against Grotto Pizza and American Legion Riders Post 672, a venue located in Dallas, Pennsylvania. Attorney Neil O’Donnell is representing the estate of the woman who lost her life in the crash. There are several issues surrounding the case. First, Grotto Pizza and American Legion Riders Post 672 oversold the man responsible for the DUI crash even though he was visibly intoxicated. Multiple cameras in the pizzeria recorded the defendant being overserved. However, Grotto failed to preserve this crucial video evidence. Neil O’Donnell filed a motion arguing that Grotto assured law enforcement and the estate of the deceased woman that it would preserve all video evidence from the date of the accident. The motion argues Grotto destroyed this crucial video evidence in bad faith.In the motion, Neil O’Donnell wrote “Had Grotto fulfilled its duty to preserve all of the surveillance video from that night,the jury would have a much clearer picture as to whether Michael Scavone was visibly intoxicated at the time of being served. Grotto must not be permitted to destroy extremely relevant evidence and then argue to a judge or jury that there is no evidence to support the plaintiff’s claim.”Neil O’Donnell asked the Luzerne County Judge to grant a summary judgment in favor of the plaintiff’s estate.The defendant is serving 7 to 16 years in prison for vehicular homicide, causing an accident involving death or injury and two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol.
What Are Pennsylvania’s Dram Shop Laws?
Under state law, establishments that overserve intoxicated patrons are liable for damages if those patrons cause drunk driving crash injuries or deaths. Pennsylvania’s dram shop law applies to businesses and private events. State law also holds social hosts liable for drunk driving damages caused by providing minors alcohol.
You should speak with a Wilkes-Barre car accident lawyer if you or a loved one suffered harm due to a drunk driving accident. It may be possible to recover compensation that can pay for your damages, such as medical expenses and lost income.
If you want to determine whether it would be possible to recover compensation from a drunk driving accident, then we encourage you to call O’Donnell Law Offices for a free consultation. Our attorneys can explain whether you have options. Call us at 570-821-5717 or use the online contact form on our website.
- Attorney Catherine R. O’Donnell Included in Prestigious Distinctive Women of 2019 List Times Leader has chosen Attorney Catherine R. O’Donnell, associate and business manager of O’Donnell Law Offices, as one of their “Distinctive Women” of 2019. She is one of 14 women in Northeastern Pennsylvania to be chosen for this honor.Recognition by Times Leader is based on open voting (print and online) that took place over four weeks in January 2019. Due to an overwhelming response, a committee carefully deliberated and selected 14 amazing women for this prestigious honor.These women have helped shape the culture of Northeastern Pennsylvania through their efforts as business professionals and civic leaders. Attorney Catherine O’Donnell is no exception. She is currently the Vice President of the Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association (Luzerne County Bar) and is a Chairperson for Luzerne County Dress for Success. She volunteers at the Hope legal clinic in Luzerne. She is widely respected within the Northeastern Pennsylvania legal community and is known for her ability to establish communication and trust with her clients.“The most important part about what I do is communication and trust-building with my clients,” Catherine said. “I make sure to identify with them in their most vulnerable moments, handling everything from collection of materials and records to finance. Being able to treat people in the most humane way during this time is essential.”A frequent contributor to legal education programs, Attorney Catherine O’Donnell is currently a member of the Board of Directors for United Way Wyoming Valley and a member of the Board of Directors for Junior Leadership of Wilkes-Barre. She is a member of the Board of Trustees for the Luzerne County Community College. She was appointed to a three year term as District III Hearing Committee Member serving the Disciplinary Board of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and has been recognized as a Best Lawyer and a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer.
- Neil O’Donnell Moderates PA Bar Association Seminar Neil O’Donnell served as a moderator at the PA Bar Association Seminar on “Winning Your Case Through Depositions.”
- Wills for Heroes: Free Estate Planning for First Responders and Veterans – https://www.wnep.com/article/entertainment/television/leckey-live/wills-for-heroes-first-responders-veterans/523-f957ba80-5924-47ae-b360-64b4c0d1dfb1