Recovering Sexual Abuse Compensation From the Diocese of Scranton
A Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report released in August 2018 identified more than 300 clergy members accused of child sexual abuse. These individuals were accused of sexually abusing more than 1,000 children over the course of several decades. If you were one of the individuals who suffered due to these horrific acts, you may be able to recover compensation. The Diocese of Scranton recently announced the creation of the Independent Survivors Compensation Program, which will make payments to individuals who suffered sexual abuse by members of the clergy, lay teachers and other diocesan workers. However, there are important details for participating in the program. O’Donnell Law Offices is currently accepting cases involving clergy sexual abuse of children. Child sexual abuse generally leads to physical and psychological trauma. Our Pennsylvania clergy abuse lawyers can help answer any questions about the program.
How to Participate in the Survivor Compensation Program
- You can recover compensation from this fund if you suffered child sexual abuse at the hands of the Diocese of Scranton clergy members, lay teachers or workers.
- You can recover compensation from this fund even if you are outside of the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit against the Diocese of Scranton.
- You must meet deadlines to register for this program’s benefits. If you have not filed a prior claim with the Diocese of Scranton, then you must file a complaint by July 31, 2019. All claims must be received by the program’s administrators by September 30, 2019.
- The program is completely voluntary.
- You only waive your right to sue the Diocese of Scranton after a satisfactory settlement has been reached. You can still participate in this program without waiving your right to sue if a satisfactory settlement is not reached.
Contact O’Donnell Law Offices for More Information
O’Donnell Law Offices has experience with sexual abuse lawsuits. Neil O’Donnell was recently interviewed by The Citizen’s Voice on how victims of clergy sexual abuse can recover compensation.
If you have questions about the Diocese of Scranton’s compensation fund or filing a lawsuit, then please contact our attorneys for a free consultation. Our Pennsylvania clergy abuse lawyers can help you determine whether you have legal options. You can reach us by calling (570) 258-8820 or using our online case review form.