Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
If you were injured in an accident that was a result of someone else’s negligence, recklessness, or carelessness, you may have the legal right to file a personal injury lawsuit and receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. The most common types of personal injury lawsuits are listed below:
- Car, Truck, & Motorcycle accidents. Vehicle accidents are one of the most common forms of personal injury claims. Vehicle accidents can include trucking accidents (semi-trucks), car collisions, motorcycle accidents, or accidents involving pedestrians. In these cases, one or more parties are at fault for their actions, and they will be responsible to pay for any injuries suffered by a victim.
- Slip and fall accidents. Slip and fall accidents are common and oftentimes are due to a property owner’s negligence. A landlord, business owner, and even homeowners have the responsibility to keep their property safe for visitors, customers, employees, or tenants. If a hazard on the property causes a person to slip, trip, and fall, the victim may have the right to file a lawsuit for any injuries.
- Medical malpractice. Medical malpractice is a specific type of personal injury that occurs when a doctor, nurse or medical professional causes harm to a victim. This can occur from pharmaceutical mistakes, hospital errors, misdiagnosis, leaving instruments in after surgery, and more. Ultimately, a medical professional has created a duty through the doctor-patient relationship to give appropriate medical care to a patient. If this duty is breached, a patient may be able to recover compensation for their injuries.
- Product liability. Millions of products are put into the market defectively, which can cause injury to consumers. If a distributor, designer, or manufacturer of a product places into the stream of commerce a product that is unsafe, they will be held strictly liable for any injury caused. Strict liability simply means that a defect exists in the product. Therefore, if a defect exists, the liable party will be responsible for your injury and any compensation owed for damages.
- Dog Bites. One of the more common personal injury cases actually relates to dog bites. Unfortunately, dog bites are extremely common oftentimes result in severe injuries, including permanent damage. The strict liability standard applies to dog bites as well, meaning if a dog bites someone, the owner is responsible for any injuries or damages.
This list is not exhaustive when it comes to potential personal injuries that are due to someone else’s negligence. Visiting with an experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand if your specific case would allow you to file a claim for damages.
Let Us Help You Today
Any type of personal injury that is a result of someone else’s negligence, recklessness, or carelessness could be the basis of a lawsuit, and if you are the victim, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and possibly even for your pain and suffering. Contact the personal injury attorneys at O’Donnell Law Offices serving clients in Kingston, Wilkes Barre, Hazleton and Pittston at 570-821-5717 or online for a free consultation regarding your case.